Share it with your friends!

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Hedgehog.

The worst mistake I may have done as a parent, may be reading the story of ' The Hedgehog’ to my son. The little guy who used to walk into rooms alone like everyone else is now frightened to go from one room to another, thanks to my story reading skills. He thinks there are hedgehogs hiding in our rooms, which I did not convey directly, so basically he has started reading between the lines and that should be counted as a milestone. Instead, I am facing a lot of flak from his Dad about misleading the child and other blah blah. In my defense, I was trying to improve his imagination and vocabulary by reading an actual story. I did not make him watch any Rohit Shetty movie and ask him to FIND the story!

Image Courtesy: Here 

The fear of hedgehog has turned out to be bothersome for all of us. For example, if I am sitting on the sofa watching TV, and I need my phone which is ringing in the other room, I can no longer ask him to bring it to me. He asks me to accompany him, so I’d rather get the phone myself. Moving from the sofa can be a really exhausting experience, and there is none other than the hedgehog to blame. The most brutal part of this whole ordeal is that I can’t even complain.

To be honest, I read a lot of children’s stories in my childhood and the ‘Hedgehog’ was not one of them. Until recently I dint even know what it was, I had to actually Google it. In the story that I read to him, it was mentioned that the hedgehog springs into action once the lights are out in the house. Aaron initially was worried that it was going to finish the milk he was supposed to drink next morning. Later he started wishing that it happened.

Stories are known to have strong impact on little minds and one can't unlearn it. I was actually having a fun time reading to him, because now he doesn’t ask unanswerable questions, like ‘Amma why is the ugly duckling ugly?’ I mean if anybody had the answer to that then half of the world’s problems would be solved. He was beginning to understand what I read and my horrible selection of stories is proof that one day I will be a producer in Bollywood.

One evening I was searching for his school bag but it was nowhere to be found. I walked into the living room and he was engrossed in ripping a car open with a screw driver.

“Aaron where is your schoolbag?”

He: “My schoolbag? Come with me ..”

He lead me to every corner of the house, and I obediently followed.  He quickly glanced at the places it is usually dumped in. Finally when there were no more rooms left he said,

“I think the hedgehog may have taken it”

Until then I hadn't realized the extent of the damage I had done. The hedgehog had started taking the blame for everything that went missing, and I am sure if it lasts long enough it will soon steal his homework, marks and girlfriends too. That night I tried to tell him that Jesus came and kicked the hedgehog out of our house and now it does not exist at all, I made the nervous boy a bit confused. 

For a while there was no talk of hedgehogs in our house and I was relieved. In fact I was secretly feeling proud of myself for having instilled in him the ‘Jesus saves us’ concept.

The next morning we were walking down the road and saw a bearded man coming towards us.


‘Amma, is this Jesus?’


16 comments:

  1. From the mouths of babes :D:D:D

    P.S: That hedgehog is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahha!!! Answer that now!

    And well, what use are kids if they can't fetch you stuff while you laze on the sofa? You need to come up with stories of helping people now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, Aaron will grow up to be some genius for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he just becomes a lovable human being ! Genius is not in the genes, you see ?

      Delete
  4. This is so cute :D .... My son is crazy about a teletubbies book which I have to read to him every night- and we know the whole book by heart .. not fun... And he thought our local shopkeeper was Jesus ( cos of the beard ) sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about reading that story to him, he would have to encounter that kind of fear some day. If you hadn't read this story, he would have found something else. I have a boy who used to scream aloud in the bathroom (a few years ago) and come running to me because his own scream scared him.
    So.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha ! Here somebody is scared of his own shadow! How am I supposed to find a solution to all this :D

      Delete
  6. Hahaha :D Your son is a riot, I tell you! Priceless wisdom from Aaron!

    ReplyDelete

Spread the word!