Share it with your friends!

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Mission Diwali : Almost Impossible.

It is that time of the year again. Diwali is just round the corner and so is the mandatory saree day.

While everyone I know can’t wait for saree day to come, I have my own prejudices about it. The only reason I still wear it on Diwali day is that in the movie Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Shah Rukh Khan started romancing his lady after she started wearing sarees. Well, that is some solid reason for a die-hard fan to wear it right?  Secondly I am bored being normal and insignificant all year long, so here is a chance for people who haven’t noticed me before to get amused. Coming soon at the office in Muscat, the ultimate chance to watch in flesh and blood, the walking documentary of ‘HOW NOT TO WEAR A SAREE’. Thank you very much.

The reason I still resort to this impossible mission.
Image Courtesy: Here

I have never in my life rocked a saree look. On my wedding day, the saree was obviously heavy so when the stylist draped it around and put it accurately in place with around 86433 safety pins, it stayed put until evening. I will not attribute the massive success of that to the safety pins or the stylist, but to the saree whose weight made it stay. Saree falling apart on wedding day would have been a kind of a major setback for the dignity of my family. Anyway blessings followed us on that day and beyond because neither the saree nor the marriage fell apart :D

Coming to the groom’s suit, hubby was kind of overweight that time. So bringing both sides of the suit together at the tummy and sliding the button on was a challenge. Throughout the wedding he was expecting the button to burst into the altar with a thud and the videographers covering the entire footage in detail, so occasionally I kept reminding him, ‘Hold your breath, Hold it! Hold it!’ . Meanwhile somewhere between the infinite folds, a pin was about to succumb to the weight of my saree. In general, our wedding day was a strength test day for safety pins and buttons.

Nowadays we have readymade blouses which have actually made life much easier. Who would have thought that this day would finally arrive! It has everything inbuilt (if you know what I mean ;-) ) so everyone is happy ( if you know what I really mean *wink* *wink*)! I got mine from Trivandrum when I went blouse shopping with Mummy. Well, I got a lot of time to try and choose the right one, as Mom was there and my son was trying to figure out whether the mannequin near the blouse section was male or female. So in general, peace prevailed during blouse shopping.

The one thing that makes saree impossible for me is the long list of prerequisites that makes it unreasonable and time consuming. I am not very systematic; my things don’t sit in the same designated place every day. Hence I buy dozens of safety pins every year for this purpose, and when I am done, they just vanish into thin air. Which is good because storage space is saved. For the chronically absent-minded person that I am, a checklist should be in place. There is a probability that I may miss something in the checklist itself, so I am off to Google ‘Dummies guide to wearing saree’. 

Okay, then.  


8 comments:

  1. hahaha.that was a very amusing account of wedding day's stress test of buttons and pins.

    Happy saree day and happy diwali to you. May your enthusiasm to wear saree on Diwali last forever and a day more.

    And , I knew what you were saying on both occasions (wink wink wink)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL about the wink hahahhahaha

      Thank you so much and wish you a happy Diwali too !

      Welcome to this space :-) Keep visiting!

      Delete
  2. The eternal Saree handicap that I am... :(
    Relished the read. Happy Diwali Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sari is the most graceful attire especially for curvy Indian women. You can hide what you want to and flaunt your assets. Just go on YouTube for a tutorial on how to drape a sari, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D For a dummy even tutorials dont work that well. There are things only Mom can do :-(

      Delete
  4. A hyfive from a fan girl :)
    I also dream of saree only due to SRK but absolutely hate the complicated way of wearing :)
    this is fun ! but saree indeed is a beautiful attire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High five !
      Yeah it looks beautiful after all that effort. Even for SRK :D

      Delete

Spread the word!